For a PDF document of this application, click here.
The Asian Pacific American Cultural Center (APACC) at CSU is now accepting applications for student staff members for the 2018-2019 academic year! We are seeking to hire students who have a commitment to working with and providing advocacy for diverse student populations, identities and experiences, and specifically for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) students. When we refer to AAPI students, we are including people with backgrounds in any and all of the categories listed here:
- East Asian (e.g. Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
- Southeast Asian (e.g. Vietnamese, Thai, Hmong, Laotian)
- South Asian/Desi (e.g. Indian subcontinent)
- Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (e.g. Filipin@, Polynesian, Micronesian)
- Middle Eastern & Arab American
- Mixed Race, Transracial/Transnational Adoptees, Third Culture Kids
Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Must be a CSU student in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Must demonstrate strong communication skills, a positive attitude, willingness to learn, strong work ethic, and ability to work effectively individually and on a team
- Must serve as a positive role model and representative of APACC and CSU
- Must use merit-based or need-based work study for this position
- Must attend Fall staff training (takes place Sunday-Friday, August 12-17, 2018 all day including some late evening hours and an overnight retreat Sunday-Tuesday, please notify us of any conflicts as soon as you are aware of them) and Spring training day to be scheduled around staff schedules
- Ability to work around 7-10 hours per week including some possible early mornings (8am)
- Required to provide front desk coverage when scheduled and represent APACC in resource fairs as well as in welcoming individuals and groups to the center
- Must attend weekly staff meetings (to be determined based on class schedules)
- Criminal background check
Current Position Descriptions
- Manages website, social media and APACC newsletter creation and distribution
- Works with Student Administrative Assistant/Marketing Coordinator to create and distribute flyers and otherwise market APACC programs
- Attends APACC events to record and document happenings to share on website and social media
- Tracks and evaluates effectiveness of outreach done by APACC through these channels
- Graphic Design experience a plus, please submit portfolio with application
- Plans and implements an educational mentoring program pairing AAPI college students with AAPI 4-6th graders from the Poudre School District including:
- Recruiting college students to be Guides and 4-6th graders to be Explorers
- Interviewing, selecting and training Guides
- Developing curriculum and coordinating sessions to educate the children about AAPI history and experience, role models, and leaders. Create and implement an intentional program to build children’s self-confidence and pride in their AAPI and other identities.
- Plans and implements an educational mentoring program pairing AAPI college students with AAPI K-3rd graders from the Poudre School District including:
- Recruiting college students to be Big Pals and K-3rd graders to be Little Pals
- Interviewing, selecting and training Big Pals
- Developing curriculum and coordinating sessions to lead the children to discover their own AAPI cultural identity and what that means to them. Create and implement an intentional program to build children’s self-confidence and help them to feel part of an AAPI community. Provide them with opportunities to share their stories and learn from the stories of others with similar and different experiences and identities.
Peer Mentor/Leadership Coordinator
- Recruits Peer Mentors and TA the Peer Mentoring course where they learn to create connections with first year and transfer students and help them navigate their first year at CSU successfully including:
- Establishing contact
- Planning educational, social and cultural events and activities for mentees
- Connecting students with appropriate resources
- Co-coordinates the annual Fall All Nations Leadership Retreat with a coordinator from the Native American Cultural Center
- May also be responsible for facilitating and leading High School Seminars involving CSU and Poudre School District students for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Student Administrative Assistant/Programming and Marketing Coordinator
- Manages reception area at APACC and takes minutes at staff meetings
- Coordinates with the Communications Manager to design marketing plans and materials for APACC sponsored events
- Assists in organizing events such as El Centro/APACC Welcome Back BBQ and Rice Bowl
- Attends APACC events to document happenings to share on website and social media
- Develops and coordinates Chai to Understand discussion program with the APACC Inclusive Community Assistant consisting of once a week or every other week discussions about issues impacting the AAPI community. Identifies topics and speakers to provide opportunities for dialogue, learning and fun related to AAPI issues or experiences.
- Coordinates the Spring APACC Awards Ceremony
Please rank the positions you are interested in starting with 1 being most interested. Do not rank those you are not interested in.
___ Communications Manager
___ Explore Coordinator
___ PALS Coordinator
___ Peer Mentor/Leadership Coordinator
___ Student Administrative Assistant/Programming and Marketing Coordinator
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (a) your resume (b) three references with name, relationship and contact information including phone number and email address (c) your ranking of positions you are interested in and (d) a detailed cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working for the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center?
- Which position(s) would you be most interested in and why?
- What experience do you have that you feel would benefit the center and the programs you would most like to work with?
Compensation for these positions will start at $10.20 per hour for 7-10 hours per week. For full consideration, applications must be submitted by Wednesday, February 7th at 8am MST. Please contact Vani at (970)491-4291 or email@example.com with any questions.